„When the solution becomes the problem…
Sharing our motivation.” Deborah e.V.
Our guiding principles
Women and men who have gone through the experience of having an abortion – whether it be their own or that of their partner or close friend – have united to form the organization Deborah e.V. This common experience has had its effect on them and bands them together.
What sustains, motivates and unites us.
The termination of pregnancy can affect people differently: Some say they feel relieved, perhaps even freed from a burden. Others are convinced that they have made the best decision. However, there are men and women who feel that, looking back, they have made the wrong decision. For these people the experience of the abortion is ever-present and their thoughts continually circle around the lost child. We want to stand by those who feel they have found no understanding for their sorrow, even been left alone with it. They can express this sorrow in our presence and due to our experience, we can help them to bear it. In addition to this we offer support to those recovering from pain and loss in the form of bereavement counselling keyed to the individual. Finally, it is also one of our objectives to make sure that in future pregnancy counseling quite clearly points out these possible psychosomatic aftereffects.
(2) Spirit and Purpose
How do we put these goals into practice?
We believe that our experience enables us to confront individuals in a similar situation with true empathy and a special understanding. The core area of our activities lies in a dialogue with individuals about our common experience and counseling after a termination of pregnancy. Here the main aspect concerns the consequences that can develop after an abortion. We enable individuals to acknowledge a loss and to mourn that loss. Many people are in need of such accompanying encounters, but the fact is that they are rarely available. Another core area consists of information from the various professional sources involved on the highly diversified effects resulting from an abortion. This includes professionals involved in follow-up care. It is equally important for us to arouse society’s awareness for this complex topic.
Who do we want to reach?
Our services are designed for recipients who have been affected diversely.
a. direct effect – women and men who have experienced an abortion themselves or that of their partner.
b. indirect effect – on those in our social surroundings
- family members
c. Those people affected who
- suffer from indefinite symptoms, which they consider to be linked to fate and therefore are incapable of being changed and, moreover, which they see as having no connection to an abortion they have experienced.
- suffer from an illness which is being treated by a doctor and neither they nor their relatives recognize that the main cause of this illness may be an abortion.
- suffering from a sub-acute to chronic psychosomatic ailment which cannot be defined and which, in the end, is the result of an unresolved abortion, which has not been dealt with.
- with a psychosomatic ailment whereby no connection is made to a past abortion and neither doctor nor patient see this connection.
e. experts from various professional fields such as
- doctors with knowledge of different specialist fields including prenatal diagnosis and medical genetics
- counselors for pregnancy conflict situations
- psychologists / religious or spiritual advisors / bereavement counsellors / social workers
- midwives / nursing staff and caretakers
- various medical boards or committees
- ethics review committees
- other multiplicators
(4) Overview of our services
What do we offer?
- spiritual support for the persons affected, bereavement counselling
- group meetings for persons affected
- work in schools
- mentoring for professional groups who are involved in a termination of pregnancy in any way
- informing professional experts
- prenatal diagnosis
- support and mediacy in the case of a positive indication
We offer: Private counselling sessions as well as discussion groups for individuals affected. Professional groups who are in any way involved in the pregnancy termination process can meet and discuss this process with us on a
one-to-one basis or in small groups. With lectures we offer information and clarification to school groups or expert groups about the follow-up effects of an abortion. In case of an abnormal or questionable indication, we arrange contacts in the field of prenatal diagnosis and provide other sources of information.
(5) Culture, communication, values
What does this mean? We start with ourselves!
We work in teams and we value our different walks of life and realms of experience. We show respect for each other and confront each other openly and without prejudice. We cultivate a trustworthy and discreet handling of personal information. Our work method demands reliability and a continual flow of communication. Our work together requires us to understand that the overlapping of borders is necessary. We are tolerant towards differing opinions and treat each other and all individuals we deal with in a fair way. Our dealings with each other rely on the principles of freedom of belief and tolerance. The basis for our dealings with one another is our Christian sense of values and way of life. Differing viewpoints should be openly expressed and subject to discussion. We regularly participate in further-education sessions. Our activities are based on economical and ecological principles.
Persons, who have decided to deal with the theme “abortion” (with all its implications), are no longer left alone. They can find discussion partners, information and support at Deborah e.V. While our organization continually seeks to orient itself towards the new and changing challenges for our society, this overall concept serves as a foundation for the continuity of our work.
Additional informations and appointment arrangements
If you are interested in one of the above offers, please contact us.
We are doing the work for Deborah e.V. on a voluntary basis, please understand that we are not always immediately available.
If you leave a message on the answering machine, we will contact you.